Coordinator of Advocacy
Manager: Director, Center for Victim Safety & Support
Agency: Family Services is a large not-for-profit agency located in Poughkeepsie, NY with a mission to help families and individuals help themselves through direct services, collaboration and advocacy. With a total staff of approximately 200 employees and volunteers, Family Services provided services to over 9000 individuals and families in Dutchess and Ulster Counties in 2014. Family Services provides services to youth, family, and crime victims through a number of programs. Family Services’ is located in and maintains the Family Partnership Center which houses 15 not-for-profit agencies offering a number of different services the community.
Program: The Center for Victim Safety & Support provides assistance to victims of all types of crime. Services include 24 hour hotline, domestic violence, rape crisis accompaniment, advocacy, counseling, and support groups. Services are available to anyone who lives, works, worships, goes to school, volunteers, or had a crime committed against them in Dutchess County. Family members and friends of victims are also eligible for services. All services are free, accessible, and confidential.
Position and Essential Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Director, coordinates and supervises assigned program activities in accordance with agency policies and procedures; supervises direct service staff; and develops program initiatives to increase the capacity of the agency to fulfill its mission.
The Coordinator is responsible for:
- Providing overall coordination and oversight of daily program activities (scheduling, ensuring coverage for client appointments, ensuring quality of service, etc.) in accordance with agency and program policies and procedures.
- Providing supervision, direction and guidance to direct service staff working with victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and other crimes so that clients and the community receive timely, appropriate services.
- Recruiting, interviewing, recommending or hiring, and maintaining of adequate staff.
- Generating and maintaining required records, reports and statistical data for program and ensure that all supervisees comply with agency policy and procedures and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Facilitating staff development through supervision, working with Coordinator of Training and Outreach to ensure all staff are appropriately trained to meet agency requirements, all regulations and funding requirements.
- In conjunction with the Director, facilitate program development and new initiatives including grant writing related to assigned programs and agency initiatives.
- Maintaining quality assurance procedures, including creation of policy and procedure manuals, monitoring and evaluating the quality of services and programs. Completion of staff performance appraisals to ensure that assigned programs meet agency and regulatory bodies’ standards.
- Meet with the Director and Coordinator of Training and Outreach on a regular basis to provide updates on the status of programs; to identify problems in programs, staffing and services; to propose solutions; to recommend policy and program initiatives and to implement solutions as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision
- Excellent administrative skills
- Possess ‘out of the box’ thinking and resourcefulness
- Ability to work effectively when under extreme pressure
- Possess compassion and empathy
- Masters degree in human service field or LCSW preferred.
- Previous experience in administration, supervision, and program development.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and computer skills.
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours/week. Hours can be irregular based on client and staffing needs.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Family Services offers competitive benefits packages including:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Pension plan and 403(b) retirement plan
- Group term life and long-term disability insurance
- Supplemental life insurance & accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Paid vacation, holiday, sick, and personal time
- Supplemental insurance through AFLAC
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Services, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer.