White Plains, NY
My Sisters’ Place is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, located in Westchester County, New York, that has grown from a grassroots task force and drop-in center formalized in 1978 into a cutting-edge leader and resource in the field of domestic violence and human trafficking advocacy and services. Our many programs include two emergency shelters, individual counseling and advocacy, children’s programs, support groups throughout Westchester, a legal center, self-sufficiency training, and an extensive community education and outreach program.
Residential Advocate (8am-4am)
Job Classification: (Regular Full-Time – Non-Exempt)
Position Reports To: Residential Advocate
The Residential Advocate is responsible for the provision of supportive services to victims of domestic violence and their children who are residents within the MSP Emergency Shelter. Advocates are expected to provide critical supportive services in a way that is compassionate and adheres to culturally appropriate best practices and agency expectations. Under the guidance of the Sr. Residential Advocate, the Residential Advocate will be responsible the following functions:
Essential Position Functions:
- Provide day-to-day case management, counseling, and crisis intervention to clients as needed and/or required to address personal and criminal justice related issues.
- Ability to Answer of 24 hour hotline on alternate bases when needed, responding to clients in crisis, providing information and resources and assess eligibility for MSP services. Assist with intake procedures including but not limited to review of the Welcome Packet, development of an on-going assessment safety plan, coordinate follow-up on initial appointments for DSS and other relevant service providers.
- Keep thorough and up-to-date client records in accordance with agency file requirements. and ensures the timely submission of all monthly stats to Senior Residential Advocate.
- Assist in the completion of OVS, public benefit and housing applications as needed and/or requested. Monitor client progress and provide referrals for needed and/or requested services.
- Assure safety and well-being of residents in accordance with shelter guidelines and resident responsibilities.
- Keep Senior Residential Advocate and Director of Residential Programs advised of the need for schedule changes as it pertains to work schedules.
- Participate in regular weekly supervision with Senior Residential to promote the provision of quality services. Participate in case conferences, staff meetings, trainings and other professional development opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Senior Residential Advocate and Residential counseling team to identify residents in need of additional clinical support.
- Assist in the maintenance of the petty cash log and facilitate the collection of backup documentation regularly.
- Assist the Senior Residential Advocate in other duties and tasks as directed. Work closely with and take direction from Manager of Residential Counseling Services and Residential Operations Coordinator to complete requested/required tasks.
- Other tasks as assigned by Supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree preferred: two years college plus 2 year experience required.
- Knowledge of victimization and domestic violence a plus, prior counseling experience in a residential setting.
- Ability to work independently assesses priorities, take initiative, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and on a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Send resume and cover letter by e-mail to: Jhalisha Slaughter, Senior Residential Advocate at JSlaughter@mspny.org.
My Sisters’ Place policy prohibits discrimination due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and national origin in employment and delivery of services.