Safe Horizon-Employment Opportunities
Position: Paralegal-Staten Island FJC
Type: EMP Employee
Reports To: Director, Legal Services
Location: Staten Island
The Domestic Violence Law Project was established by Safe Horizon in 1991. Since its inception, DVLP has provided high-quality legal advocacy and representation to thousands of low-income and indigent battered women in family justice proceedings such as order of protection, custody, support, and divorce proceedings; DVLP also advocates for clients within the criminal justice system.
This position is located full-time at the Staten Island Family Justice Center. The paralegal will work closely with other Family Justice Center partners to ensure victims receive comprehensive services.
Essential Job Functions:
Responsible for client intakes by phone and in person. Field legal questions and assess and refer cases for representation.
- Translation/Interpretation for staff attorneys or law student interns. This includes accompanying attorneys to court to interpret, translating court orders and stipulations, and letters. Interpreting intensive client interviews. Translating publicity, training and office materials.
- Inputting client information into the stats database/spreadsheet.
- Drafting subpoenas and conducting service of subpoena. Maintain Subpoena compliance calendar and conducting all follow up on subpoenas after service.
Providing emergency practical assistance
- Referring clients to shelters, relocation assistance, and medical facilities when appropriate.
- Providing information regarding the criminal justice system, public assistance, social security and welfare, immigration law, housing law, shelters, divorce, and employment.
- Maintaining case records and statistics as required.
- Arranging meetings, preparing agendas, taking minutes and distributing to group;
- Assisting in coordinating special events;
- Filing/copying general clerical tasks.
- Helping to find more efficient ways to manage administrative tasks;
- Problem solve and manage tasks as they arise
Conducts presentations and trainings to community-based organizations and other service providers to promote the mission of the agency.
Serves as an internal resource to Safe Horizon staff, answering questions and making educational presentations.
- The ability to write, edit and proofread routine reports, court and correspondence in a clear, concise and effective manner is essential.
- A strong commitment to working exclusively with victims of domestic violence is required.
- Must be bilingual in Spanish
- BA/BS Degree, Paralegal training preferred
- Bilingual required (Spanish)
- Microsoft office proficiency.
- Must have prior experience in and/or thorough knowledge of Domestic violence services, and/or crisis intervention, criminal justice system, working with victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, family violence, poverty law, and social justice work.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Education: Bachelor's Degree