February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month (TDVAM), a month dedicated to bring attention to an issue that effects 1 in 3 teens in the United States. TDVAM is a national effort focused on advocacy and education to stop dating violence before it starts.
This February, we invite you to join the New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NYSCADV) to raise awareness. Teens and young people across New York are invited to participate in NYSCADV’s What is Love? Contest!
How to Participate
You can submit your entry that expresses the theme, What is Love, anytime through Monday, February 15 at 9pm. Voting will take place February 18-25, and winners will be announced on the NYSCADV Facebook page on February 26.
- Start by reviewing the contest details and guidelines
- Create your submission. Entries can be in any of the following formats: Visual arts (painting, sculpture, drawing, mixed media/collage), Literary Arts (short story/essay, poetry), Graphic Arts (paint, draw, design in a digital medium including memes,) Performance Art (2-3 minute video entries including performed skits, dance, musical performance or compositions)
- Register your artwork in the contest
- Get votes! Share with your network through emails and social media! Voting will include a vote via Facebook, as well as a grand prize winner selected by a panel of expert judges.
It's easy to sign up and get involved! Register today
The contest is open to all individuals ages 12-20 in New York State. Contestants under 18 years of age must have parent/guardian permission to enter. There is no cost to participate.
Voting & Prizes
The deadline for entry submission is 9pm on Monday, February 15th. Voting will take place between February 18-25.
Each submission will be entered into the appropriate medium category:
- Visual Arts (painting, sculpture, drawing, mixed media/collage)
- Literary Arts (short story/essay, poetry)
- Graphic Arts (painting, drawing, designing in digital medium, including memes)
- Performance Arts (video entries including performed skits, dance, musical performance or compositions)
There will be a winner for each of the categories based on the submission that receives the highest number of Facebook votes in that group.
Additionally, there will be a grand prize winner. This award will be given to the submission of any category that has the most expressive, creative, inspirational, and/or compelling theme of “What is Love.” The winner of this category will be selected by a panel of experts, including representatives from Queery, NYSCASA and NYSCADV.
The winners of each category will receive a $25 Visa gift card. The Grand Prize Winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card, as well as have their submission featured in various NYSCADV education and communications materials, such as the NYSCADV webpage, resources, and social media channels. A profile of the artist and their winning submission will also be shared in the March or April issue of NYSCADV’s electronic monthly newsletter. Additionally, the project mentor (teacher, coach, educator, etc.) of the grand prize winner will also receive a $100 Visa gift card.
Thank you for your involvement and support!
By raising awareness about teen dating violence, we can work together to help teens and young people have safe and healthy relationships. Learn more here.