Economic Empowerment Project
New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence's Economic Empowerment Project, is funded by the Moving Ahead Financial Empowerment Grant through the Allstate Foundation and National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV). NYSCADV distributes the funding among three selected domestic violence service providers in New York State. As a part of this grant, the NYS coalition provides financial empowerment training, webinars, and resources to domestic violence service provider programs of New York State.
What Is Financial Abuse?
Financial abuse is a tactic used by abusers to control victims by preventing access to money or other financial resources. It often begins small and progresses over time. It's like other forms of abuse — it aims to gain power and control.
It might include:
- Controlling how money is spent
- Withholding money or “giving an allowance”
- Withholding basic living resources, medication or food
- Not allowing a partner to work or earn money
- Stealing a partner's identity, money, credit or property *
* The Allstate Foundation Moving Ahead Curriculum.
- Allstate Foundation
- National Network to End Domestic Violence Independence Project
- Family Violence Option in New York State