New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence Job Announcement
Deputy Director Position
Organization Overview: The New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NYSADV) is a statewide nonprofit membership organization comprised of local domestic violence service providers and allies who are committed to ending domestic violence. Founded in 1978, we achieve our mission through activism, training, prevention, technical assistance, leadership development, and legislative advocacy.
NYSCADV serves as the information clearinghouse, primary point of contact, and resource center on domestic violence for the state of New York. Our organization is responsible for supporting the development of policies, protocol, and procedures to enhance domestic violence intervention and prevention. This also includes providing education and technical assistance to the network of primary-purpose domestic violence service providers statewide.
Position Title: Deputy Director
Responsible To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, exempt, salaried
Location: Albany, NY
Position Overview: This position is a significant leadership opportunity for an experienced individual grounded in nonprofit organizations and social justice movements. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for NYSCADV’s mission and is a seasoned nonprofit leader with an established history of managing operations and projects and supporting a talented and diverse team.
Position Responsibilities: The Deputy Director will be responsible for assigned organizational leadership, operations, and capacity development tasks.
- Project management, evaluation, operations, budgeting, and organizational planning skills with a commitment to the future success of NYSCADV are essential
- The ability to think broadly and strategically, and be detail-oriented about the process necessary to incorporate trends into organizational plans
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills and comfort with financial statements
- An ability to focus on details and manage organizational projects to completion
- Demonstrated success as a leader of change management processes, including the development and use of technology, data management, and administrative systems
- Ability to complete grant applications, submit external agency reports, and compile monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as requested
- Comfort level with representing NYSCADV on task forces, workgroups, and committees as assigned
- Flexibility to perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit organizations or an equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Advanced degree or equivalent combination of experience and education preferred
- Experience in domestic violence advocacy or related human services organizations
- Understanding of statewide membership organizations and government relations
- Ability to implement a vision, think strategically, exercise good judgment, and lead change
- Success supervising and mentoring staff and interns and supporting professional development
- Comfort level in a fast-paced environment with the capability to meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Windows operating system and MS Office
- Proven ability to multi-task and maintain attention to detail
- Ability to be a self-starter, initiate and maintain an independent workload, and work collaboratively with all NYSCADV staff, consultants, members, government agencies, and funders required
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to NYSCADV’s Mission required
- Commitment to nonviolence and ability to respect and work within diverse groups required
- Ability to comply with agency Ethics, Standards of Conduct, and Confidentiality policies required
- Valid driver’s license, access to own transportation, willingness and ability to travel required
Compensation: Competitive starting salary commensurate with skills and experience.
NYSCADV offers excellent benefits including health, dental, and life insurance and generous
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. This position will remain open until filled.
NYSCADV is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants are encouraged to
apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national
origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic
information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any
other status protected under federal, state, or local law.